Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Monday, May 29, 2006

Dora The Explorer For Adults

A good, expiating day it was yesterday, returning to work a cash shift at Chapters after two weeks away and discovering not only that the detested Manager called in sick for lack of a babysitter, but also horrific portents about the store itself which I had predicted months ago were coming true. Timely, needless to say, is my gradual, befitting withdrawal from working there alltogether. After nearly four years of travelling downriver with this harrowing bookstore company, now I'm beginning to read and see for myself the damaging emotional and psychological state of mind and environment Kurtz inhabited in Conrad's Heart of Darkness when he groaned, "the horror, the horror!"

In fact, amidst my shift, probably inspired by true understanding, I picked up and started reading my first Stephen King book: Cujo. After studying and writing about one of the original twentieth-century horror-meisters, Lovecraft, I can appreciate and understand what is so tangibly appealing about King's stories.

A few hours after my shift was done, my fiancée and I, as well as her brother and his two friends went to see The Da Vinci Code. The movie was a pulpy mix of intriguing, controversial pot-boiler and rushed thought-provoker: nevertheless involving the audience, who participated in what my fiancée was calling "Dora The Explorer for adults."

2 Comments:

Blogger Pious Labours said...

(Wrong post, but oh well):

I read Gerusalemme Liberata, a work that is, as you know, pretty tought to find in translation. It was a little long, and it has some laboured parts (imitations usually do), but on the whole it was quite good and interesting. It is odd how a work so influential can be forgotten as if it never were. Without Tasso you wouldn't have Spenser, etc etc. Critics like Dryden talked about it all the time, along with another, even more forgotten epic, Statius' Thebaid.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Davyth said...

Honestly I can't remember how or when I discovered the romance epics of the Italian Renaissance - more than likely a deft combination of reading Don Quixote and Barzun's From Dawn To Decadence two summers ago. I started with Ariosto, moving on to Tasso then vainly attempting Pulci's Morgante. Only recently have I managed to even get a second-hand copy of Boiardo's Orlando innamorato.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home