Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Saturday, April 02, 2005

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

I sat down to read T.S. Eliot for the first time--yes, yes, shame on me, I know--from the Poetry anthology Jeremy was kind enough to give to me...and now I see why Jeremy loves Eliot and Viv says I am like T.S. Eliot...

from "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" (lines 111-119)

No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
Am an attendant lord, one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two,
Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool,
Deferential, glad to be of use,
Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
At times, indeed, almost ridiculous--
Almost, at times, the Fool.

This poem seems like a shadow both above and beneath me--a spectral reflection and shadow of me, grounded. Wow. I'm speechless. Simple yet beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home