Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Silly Rabbit, Tricks Are For Kids

I am up late, reading Shakespeare's Cymbeline - and a realization came as I read the scene in Act 5 Scene 5 when the ghosts of Posthumus' family accuse Jupiter (Zeus/God) of letting Giacomo ruin Posthumus and Innogen's relationship. Like the rest of Cymbeline, this is another pastiche narrative that Shakespeare has incorporated into the text--in this case, this dream vision/divine allegory reeks of JOB from the Bible. It's the typical case of mortal men asking God Omnipotent, why he allows suffering and evil to occur in a world when he has the power to prevent these things. A typical set-up for God to bitchslap those ungrateful bastards who dare accuse him of being false - uh oh, not good, never never tell the Creator God how to run things, like you know better. Then comes the usual reply that God gives to Job in the Book of Job, daring him to do ineffable, unfathomable mammoth tasks, like drag the Leviathan out of the sea or harness the Behemoth. Silly Job, tricks are for kids! ('cause we know Jesus liked kids, he said so, you know 'suffer the children, permit them to come' or how we must learn to 'become like children to enter the Kingdom of God'). Then God sets things straight, restoring everything back to its natural order. It's the usual lesson that through suffering we arrive at salvation, or at least wisdom--saintlihood.

I just thought I'd share this wild thought with you since I don't know if my Shakespeare tutorial will get it. Or my tutorial leader.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vixen said...

If tricks are for kids, how come I haven't been through the looking glass yet?

6:12 PM  
Blogger Davyth said...

Because I don't need glasses to know beauty when I see it ;)

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home