Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Monday, March 14, 2005

Shakespeare's Danse Macabre

This is the title for my essay on the ghost in Hamlet. I have completed the preliminary draft with many arduous hours of careful work put into writing this paper in the last two days. It is not the kind of essay that I could've pulled off last semester at the last minute, as I did for my previous Shakespeare paper. The ideas have been in the works for months and weeks, assembling as a mishmash product of my fascination with old and new weird fiction, gothic literature, supernatural things in literature - as well as Shakespeare. To find an assignment to engage my theories in a critical debate with scholars, and trash Greenblatt on a side note, has renewed the burning passion in my mind. I very much enjoyed being able to poke fun at critics of notoriety, tongue-in-cheek, as a part of a thought-provoking assignment. This has been a hard, but rewarding assignment - kudos to those who helped me along the way, Viv for her sweet voice, her love; and to Jeremy for opening up my mind (how, I dare not say for the time being).

I should dedicate this paper to Stephen Greenblatt, who earned the following sentences to his name: Greenblatt's flawed interpretation of the ghost in Hamlet in Purgatory, reveals how he tends to follow digressions with shortsight in his analysis of Shakespeare. He confuses a buzzing in his ear for a swarm of bees.

God bless.

ADDENDUM: Thanks to a clever suggestion from a fellow Yorkie co-worker of mine, I have been able to expand my essay to cover the idea of medieval cycle plays and their relation to the ghost. Thanks Suzy!

EXTRA NOTE: Here is the paper.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vixen said...

My dear, if you haven't yet submitted this paper, it could use some editing? Your editor is always, standing by...

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home