Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Friday, February 18, 2005

It's Not Fusty Billingsgate

I haven't much to say, other than that I'm busy trying to put a dent in the long list of assignments I have on my desk. There is still a lot of work to be done with my presentation on Reef. In the mean time I've typed up a poem that means a lot to me. It's the Old English (Anglo-Saxon) poem: The Wanderer. Ever since I was exposed to this poem over a year ago I've been captivated by it. I haven't yet been able to express or explain 'why' I feel something everytime I read this poem in print.

I've always believed that those who came before my time have been able to capture the truth so beautifully. Even though I know this doesn't absolutely hold true, because there are many wonderful contemporary authours, I hold Classical and Medieval texts in the highest regard above modernity. I figure I'll never be able to explain WHY we need these poems first and foremost, before modern literature, but I know we need them to guide our voyage of life and understanding. I'm starting to sound like another Anglo-Saxon poem: The Seafarer (this is the wonderful Ezra Pound rendition)

ADDENDUM: I found a quote in Reef that expresses how I feel about literature of the past: "The urge to build, to transform nature, to make something out of nothing is universal. But to conserve, to protect, to care for the past is something we have to learn." (188)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home