Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Reefer Madness

With some help from Viv, I finally arrived at a concise topic for my presentation on Romesh Gunesekera's Reef. I will focus on the role of food in the novel, examining the idea of the "spirituality of food and memory." What I hope to do is capture how simple acts like cooking, smelling or tasting food are tied to religion, culture, ritual and memory in one part of the novel - when Mr Salgado hosts a X-mas party and Triton, the narrator/servant-cook has to prepare the meal. The most profound ideas surrounding the dinner discussion occur in this part, many which I considered covering (The Age of Aquarius, Eden, Noah's Ark, etc) but lacked the time and know-how.

The most interesting thing that Viv pointed out was a simple but profound statement from a commercial about men's deoderant, I believe (I could be mistaken), that captures the thrust of my presentation: "Scent is the strongest sense tied to memory"

Today's trivia: What commercial did that come from?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home