Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Quimbey's Son: 'Say Chaucer' (Not Chowder)

Now that school is back in session I find it harder to write a post without either assigned books or whining becoming the main topic. There is no time for me to indulge in books not part of my curriculum without a backlash, so I am trying my hardest not to dilly-dally. In light of my chronic respiratory ailment, I know that I must keep stress at bay. Otherwise, I can look forward to having the acute lung pangs that I experienced last semester, again.

Luckily the only dilemmas I face now are preparing an Art presentation on Futurism and whether to write a 2000 word essay for 'Religious Drama and Visions in the Middle Ages' on the Pearl-poet (Cleanness and Patience) or comparing Chaucer (House of Fame) with Hildegard of Bingen (Scivias). I am tempted to play the wild card and write on the latter topic as a challenge to explore two authours about whom I have basic knowledge. The topic isn't too daunting, luckily:

The House of Fame
is as rich and complex in visual detail as Hildegard's visions, but the subject matter is entirely different. Compare the two with regard to the writer's purpose, the vision's source, and the visionary's explanation of her or his experience.

In fact, I think I will stick with this topic. As much as I have enjoyed the Pearl-poet's works in the past, I think it'd be a crying shame to ignore a chance to understand his contemporary, Chaucer, too. The comparison to Hildegard shouldn't be too hard as her text is 'closed' in meaning - the meaning of her vision is rather narrow in scope - since she alleges that God dictated to her its true design.

Well, I have to be up in 5 1/2 hours for an early morning Shakespeare tutorial on Titus Andronicus so I ought to hit the sack now.

ADDENDUM: After today's class I am re-considering my choice of essay topic. I could write on The Book of the Duchess question:

Consider the nature and function of the dream vision as a poetic device in The Book of the Duchess.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vixen said...

Heya hun, congrats on your first posting for the new year. Whining about the system of education *ahem* York has never done anyone any harm. In my opinion its rather cathartic.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home