Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Thursday, December 16, 2004

The Dark Ages

This student will think twice about pursuing medieval studies now that he has read The Cloud of Unknowing. There should be a disclaimer that says do not read medieval literature when suffering a bout of ennui or malaise. To think, I was enthusiastic about reading this book--initially it was a treat. But after a visit to cloud nine I've decided on coming down to earth. No more high-falutin' language. No sir. I will know better than to accept 3 days off of work--none of this enjoying free time business. Sitting around--no money--too many books. Bad combination. Wicked recipe.

In the mean time I'll have my head in two works by William Golding for the next few days. I will be reading Pincher Martin and The Inheritors. I was considering The Romance of the Rose or Piers Ploughman, but I don't want to overdose on medieval literature. Need some good old modern British writing--and mild perscriptions of the Bible to cure this ailing mind...not guides to living the lonely, hermit's life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vixen said...

It's about time that you came back down to earth!

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home