Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Friday, August 26, 2005

On States of Consciousness (Before Coffee)

A curious, deep set of lines I read this morning before I depart for work:

[...] but states of consciousness, even when successive, permeate one another, and in the simplest of them the whole soul can be reflected. We may therefore surmise that time, conceived uder the form of a homogeneous medium, is some spurious concept, due to the trespassing of the idea of space upon the field of pure consciousness [...] we shall see that time, conceived under the form of an unbounded and homogeneous medium, is nothing but the ghost of space haunting the reflective consciousness.

From Henri Bergson's Time and Free Will, the last work unrelated to school that I will read for an extended period. Next on my list: Sidney's Defence of Poesy and Stella and Astrophil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home