Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Winner of Our Discontent

Half a week gone, finally, a new post. I haven't felt much like blogging of late, rather, I've been spending my late nights on the phone with my fiancée [thanks Zelda for the tip], Viv. So far, I worked from 9:30 AM to 9:00 PM two nights this week. There is, frankly, little time left for much else besides the occasional book. I finished reading Gaiman's Stardust not too short after the last post, Sunday, as well as that Shakespeare book, Shadowplay, a book that took me into previously unexplored (rather profound) historical territory. I think Asquith's book deserves a certain amount of praise for her attempt to challenge the common biases, assumptions, and trifles - one being the (pro-) Protestant bias of our historical perspective. If, in the course of my upcoming Advanced Shakespeare course, we are expected to research a theoretical standpoint, I am willing to stake out the much contested territory surrounding New Historicism - I have read Greenblatt and Asquith. However, I digress.
Today I decided that I am going to read Golding's Pincher Martin next. After googling the title, I discovered an interesting article drawing comparisons between Golding and Bergson, a philosopher I became interested in after reading Kazantzakis about two years ago. It was, however, at this moment I realized I did not own a single book by Bergson. For now I must be content with the brief excerpts from Creative Evolution in an anthology called Art In Theory: 1900-2000, An Anthology of Changing Ideas. What caught my attention in the article, in particular, was Bergson's notion of the inter-relationship between free will and time. The book under question is Bergson's Time and Free Will: An Essay on the Immediate Data of Consciousness. Actually, I am looking to obtain a copy, anon.
It is only in seeing consciousness run through matter, lose itself there and find itself there again, divide and reconstitute itself, that we shall form an idea of the mutual opposition of the two terms [intelligence and intuition], as also, perhaps, of their common origin.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dr J said...

If, in the course of my upcoming Advanced Shakespeare course, we are expected to research a theoretical standpoint, I am willing to stake out the much contested territory surrounding New Historicism - I have read Greenblatt and Asquith.

How unfortunate, there being so much better stuff out there. *sigh*

6:14 AM  
Blogger Davyth said...

Don't worry, I wouldn't for a second advocate New Historicism, it is a crime against my nature. This is perhaps why I chose the phrase "stake out", in the spirit of investigating and rooting out heinous criminal activity.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Davyth said...

Think of it as a mission in undercover exorcism, liberating poor, innocent souls possesed by the Devil.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Davyth said...

What premier Shakespearean critics do you recommend?

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i don't mean to nitpick, but ya gotta quit denying your fiancee the extra "e" that she gets - being feminine and all. you're her fiance, but she's your fiancee. unless vixen is a man - and then, it's fine. :)

(i can't put the accents on for some reason).

5:59 PM  
Blogger Vixen said...

LOL...I'm still a female zelda.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Dr J said...

On Shakespeare? Gee, who do I name-- Coleridge, Dr. Johnson, Eliot, Frye, G. Wilson Knight, Caroline Spurgeon, Henri Fluchere, M.M. Mahood, L.C. Knights, Stanley Wells, D.A. Traversi, Frank Kermode, Harold Bloom, Helen Vendler, A. C. Bradley, among so many others.

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home