Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Deja Vu

In a bizarre twist I've been invited to deliver a lecture in a high school grade 12 Modern Western Civilization history course. It's definitely a twist "of fate" to be invited to teach at my old high school after I received an award at graduation declaring that I was most likely to teach at my high school, Gordon Graydon. While the class won't start until February I have already started considering different topics. The first idea I owe to Vivian who suggested discussing a bit of Caribbean history, an idea I am rather fond of. The teacher who invited me, a member of the church I attend, liked this idea of teaching something that is not offered in their textbook--interestingly it is the same textbook I had to use when I took that class. This specific topic would be a perfect transition from the Enlightenment to the French Revolution and subsequent rise of Napoleon. Another topic that might fit into this time period is the rise and fall of the first modern republic, Corsica, that served as a model to the American colonies and French revolutionaries. I found a great narrative, which I am considering using if I opt for this topic, in John Ralston Saul's book, Voltaire's Bastards. Saul lauds Corsica as the lost and forgotten son of the Enlightenment, a victim of Napoleon's dictatorship.

One point I am tempted to point out to the students is the comparison to modern political events, e.g. George Bush and Iraq or Afghanistan. As I read Saul's narrative I was frightened to discover how identical certain political events in the late eighteenth century were to our times.

For those few who read this blog, I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. I will get more details about this potential stint.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr J said...

It's strange going back to one's alma mater to teach-- as I did when I was around your age to conduct most of a semester of OAC Canuckistani Literature. Going back, the place feels so small, so otherwordly, and you start to wonder if you ever went to that place at all.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Davyth said...

I'd returned to my high school,thankfully before my favourite teacher died suddenly of a mysterious ailment. It was rewarding to see the gleam in her eyes as I talked about the essays I'd written, the books I'd read, too. It must have been a shock to her; I wasn't very ambitious in high school but I'd developed into a "literary" person. In the same vein it was amusing to answer students' questions (and fears) about university. It was most amusing when we joked about the lack of sleep and overdosages of coffee as cornerstones of the university experience...the look of 'fear and trembling' was gold.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home