Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I Fought The Law (And The Law Won)

Motivated somewhat by a personal opportunity to apply for a post-graduate employment opportunity as Assistant Production Editor for a law publication company, Canada Law Book, I have been reviewing many classic texts for advice on English usage: Fowler's Modern English Usage, Strunk and White's Elements of Style, Fiske's Dictionary of Concise Writing and of course the Canadian Oxford Dictionary.

My job prospects aren't exactly hopeful, perhaps because I know very well how most university students do not secure employment in their field straightaway. I will nonetheless submit my resume in addition to the employer's questionnaire application with the faint (albeit naive) hope that this job might get me out of the wilderness of Chapters.

Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger Pious Labours said...

Good luck man. I remember working at Chindigo: pretty much slave labour.
I love Fowler's. I actually have't read him in a while, but I just remembered a distinction he made this morning. I have both the original version and the Simon Burchfield revision. I really should get back to that list of elements missing from it...

8:56 AM  
Blogger Davyth said...

No kidding--I have a new manager who can't even spell, write or form a proper sentence. We had an argument about this, and basically, she takes personal offense if employees, or, should I say, underlings, correct her memos (which are of course openly displayed in the staff room!).

I've never heard so many excuses why it's alright to spell words improperly--or that it's nothing to make a fuss about.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home