Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Domesday Book

I finished my last exam - Advanced Shakespeare - this morning with no problems whatsoever. Surprisingly I managed with ease to finish a three hour exam in just over two hours, while last night's Religious Ritual and Symbolism exam (I can hear some of you thinking about cracking a joke here) was even quicker: I finished in an hour and fifteen minutes while half of the class finished in forty-five minutes.

I chose to answer the following questions for my Advanced Shakespeare exam:

(1) The assumption that degree is a product of nature - i.e. that each individual is fixed within patriarchal society - is challenged by Shakespeare. Discuss this problem with reference to Iago and Edmund, and compare the ways in which Shakespeare treats the problem of identity in Othello and King Lear.

(3) What kind of historian was Shakespeare? Answer this question with reference to two of the following: 1 Henry VI, Julius Caesar, Measure for Measure. If you can, consider the differences between Machiavellian and providential versions of history as discussed in class. If you can't, just answer the question as you understand it.

(5) Compare Shakespeare's representation and use of "the crowd" as a political phenomenon in Julius Caesar and Coriolanus.

Officially I have finished with school (aside from handing in a final paper due next week on Northrop Frye, and later graduation ceremony).

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr J said...

Re #3: Reminds me of something I said in a lecture umpteen million years ago, that "Shakespeare does history like I do calculus, at best creatively but with little or no fidelity to the discipline."

8:02 AM  
Blogger Davyth said...

I took a very Frye approach to the question, seeing 'Machiavellian' history as the horizontal or historical and 'providential' as the vertical or imaginative/fantastic in Shakespeare's history plays. In this case I wrote about 1 Henry VI and Measure for Measure (we could only ever talk about a play once--and I opted for #5)--talking about the mythic (biblical, medieval) elements, etc.

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home