Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Monday, February 27, 2006

Divine Encounters

A long day past, starting off around 9:30 AM with an morning shift working until six o'clock, then picking up my fiancée from her new bartending job, a brief sit-down dinner, some to and fro driving to pick up old money, and finally back home around 10 pm. For the time being I'll take a short break, write this post, then get back to reading Rudolf Steiner's Atlantis and Lemuria, which, in its quirky , occult way, is becoming a very fascinating study of the growth of the modern cosmology of UFOs, extraterrestrials, and outer space bugaboos of the imagination. I am not calling this sort of stuff hokey, and not worthy of study, but, quite the opposite, I believe it is highly un-recognized as part of our own modern, imaginative poetics, or language of the cosmos, as well as literature. From the Theosophical movement of Madame Blavatsky and Rudolf Steiner to a modern recent writer like Zecharia Sitchin, or even the supposedly mad Scientologist L. Ron Hubbard, writer of Dianetics -- such writers have absorbed and re-vised the essential tale of a foundation myth in our modern, popular imagination -- developing a new cosmic aetiology or genealogy for the human race (guided by a poetics and vision from outer space). As far back as the classical, medieval and Renaissance periods, and perhaps even up until recent history (and still) writers have invented stories of heritage, empire, and authority drawn from other past, great Empires, such as from Troy to Rome (Aeneid), to England (Geoffrey of Monmouth), or France (Christian de Troyes), or from Charlemagne's Holy Roman Empire (Napoleon or Hitler), or some other great classical hero, or perhaps some old biblical patriarch like Abraham or tribe of Israel, or St. Paul for Catholics--you get the point.

The historical veracity of these tales is questionable, and certainly imaginative at best, but it represents, I believe, a new, albeit common powerful vision adopted by the Imagination (adapted) from the past, to establish a new (or more appropriate) set of images or metaphors for the present, cosmic (or technological) human existence. It sounds rather convoluted when I write it down, but that's because these are just the fresh, immature seeds of thought, not fully developed or matured by an imagination guided by reason. Or maybe I'm just crazy, as my co-workers keep telling me.


2 Comments:

Blogger Pious Labours said...

Dude, you're definitely one of the most intelligent undergrads I've met :) I mean, you've actually heard of Geoffrey of Monmouth? :)
Intersting ideas: I used to read heavily in UFOs, etc, an interest that has gone the way of the evening paper, but your idea sounds very interesting. Personally Scientologists scare the heck out of me.
One thing worth mentioning: tales of spirits/ghosts were popular in the 19th century, and the late 20th century saw the explosion of Alien narratives (abductions, etc). Maybe they are happening, but this is a subject that has basically gone extinct, at least in the mainstream.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Davyth said...

I'm currently writing a paper for one of my classes, using Frye as my guide, about the beginnings of cosmic narratives of extraterrestrial succession in occult and theosophical literature (Steiner and Sitchin).

And yes, I've heard of Geoffrey of Monmouth--I haven't had the chance to read him yet, but I've read enough about his book to recognize its significance in terms of romance literature (Geraldine Heng wrote a whole book about romance medieval literature, though with a post-colonial slant, that is very informative).

The terrible thing is I'm not going on to graduate school anytime soon, because I can't afford it--and I need to get out and establish myself in terms of work--and plus I'm engaged so I'll be getting married soon, too.

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home