Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Medieval Endorsement

Before I plan to hand over my sole copy of W.S Merwin's recent new verse translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight to a workmate, who, based on his delight with classic stories like Homer's Odyssey, asked me to endorse other classic literary adventures for him to read, I was killing time before work by re-reading it.

While reading those very potent, mythologically rich descriptions of Biblical and Classical proportions found in the Gawain-poet's tale - of the translatio imperii, of King Solomon's pentangle, of Christ's wounds, of Mary, the Queen of Heaven's image, and of knightly virtues - intuitively, I felt my mind wafting with an idea never conceived of before evoked by some orchestrated ineffable source.

Understanding these ideas in my own bizarre way, I thought analogously of the function of endorsement in advertising - a celebrated name or place of renowned association intended poetically to uplift the value of something above and beyond mundane reality to a far greater mythological significance. We're requested as readers of this medieval tale by the Gawain-poet to conceive of the extra poetic meaning associated with these well-known mythological endorsements.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr J said...

Never did get a look at the Merwin. Add that to the many things I still must do. Your thoughts on it? WSM is rather a good poet-- better than most. His translation is one of those rare "contemporary" (?!?!) texts I wish, wish, wish I'd gotten my grubby mitts on.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Davyth said...

I have three translations of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight in my collection--W.S. Merwin, James Winny, and Casey Finch--and, if you will forgive the general comparison, Merwin does for Gawain what Heaney did for Beowulf.

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a strange occurance, while looking for a current source of scholarly examinations of the greatest minds of horror - also to turn up an old friend?

Forgive me if I'm missing the mark of this comment box - but I'm beginning studies myself in several branches of the occult and supernatural literature, and I must say that this blog is a wealth of information.

I hope to read more,
-Aaron Chrisjohn

9:27 PM  
Blogger Davyth said...

Hey Aaron!

You'll have to forgive the mess ... my mind is still very much like the house I used to live in: messy, and erratic. I write what I can, as a hobby, to affirm any vestige of intelligence left in my brain now that I'm "in the real world" (the phrase my mom still uses to refer to when one is finally done with school, and has nothing but work for a living).

You have to send me an e-mail ASAP - we need to catch up on things. There are a lot of changes to talk about ... and a wealth of explanations due, for by-gone years, I gather. E-mail, it seems, these days, is one of the few avenues of communication that reaches me -- when I'm not working, spending time with my fiancée (yes, I've been engaged for over a year ... there are plenty photos of my better half here on the blog), late nights picking her up from the bar she manages, and these days helping fix up the house because my parents are finally planning to move up North (which means scrambling to find a place to life now!) around Georgina/Peferlaw region.

Plain to say: we need to get together, catch up on things--it's been far too long.

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home