Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Monday, August 01, 2005

It's All About The Benjamins

Over the course of the weekend I tried, repeatedly, to sit down and write a decent blog entry. It was a decent weekend filled with excitement, ranging from spending time with my fiancé, seeing the movie Stealth, to witnessing our youngest cat, Cleta, negligently lose her catch--a sparrow--to her older, proweling sister, Smokey, who capitalised on her brief unattentiveness. I continue to read Asquith's Shadowplay with mixed feelings, though it is slowly turning into a love-hate relationship. It reminds me of a comment Dr. J made about Greenblatt over drinks last year: you figure with the learned, brilliant kind of research and knowledge these New Historicism critics/scholars possess they would know better than to make some of the blundering statements or assumptions they make in their books. Asquith, too, falls into this rut on a regular basis. After about 75-100 pages her arguments seem like a rap song; you have a sense of the intellectual rhythm or beat she is blaring into your mind's ear, though she often also flashes a dazzling show of her historical knowledge like it was 'bling-bling'. Just to remind you, of course, that she is 'street' credible (or to make up for her intellectual blunders) with her scholarly historical consciousness. Yep, I just compared a book on Shakespeare to rap music. I MUST be fishing desperately for ideas.

4 Comments:

Blogger Vixen said...

LOL...one of the most amusing posts you've had in a while.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Dr J said...

Dave, you remember wayyyyyyy to much of what I say. ;-)

10:09 AM  
Blogger Dr J said...

Er, TOO. (D'Oh! It's Monday.)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Davyth said...

Your opinion of New Historicism stands the test of time, Jeremy. I can attest to it, I've dared to read those critics.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home