Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Insatiate Countess

I'm staying awake over-night with a pot of coffee, and by reading Four Jacobean Sex Tragedies. My fiancée is flying in 6 to 7 hours down to Trinidad for 2 weeks in order to finalise the wedding plans. I'm driving her to the airport in 4 hours.

Yesterday, early in the morning, I finally took my car into a garage to have the oil changed and the drums and shoes of the brakes replaced, so I slept for only 4 hours last night. Some modern Joe mixed with some Renaissance titillation ought to have some dramatic effect on my half-awake, half-asleep brain. I have a choice: William Barkstead and Lewis Machin's The Insatiate Countess, Francis Beaumont and John Fletcher's The Maid's Tragedy, Thomas Middleton's The Maiden's Tragedy and John Fletcher's The Tragedy of Valentinian in this Oxford Volume of English Drama.

A fresh change from Wace's Roman de Brut out of a copy of Arthurian Chronicles, translated by Eugene Mason, that I borrowed from the Library. I considered reading Layamon's Brut afterwards but decided otherwise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home