Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Friday, April 15, 2005

To You, Whoever You Are, Who May Have This Book In Your Possession

Tonight I thought I'd post a brief excerpt from a much loved mystical, medieval text: The Cloud of Unknowing.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This darkness and cloud is always between you and your God, no matter what you do, and it prevents you from seeing him clearly by the light of understanding in your reason, and from experiencing him in sweetness of love in your affection. So set yourself to rest in this darkness as long as you can, always crying out after him whom you love. For if you are to experience him or to see him at all, insofar as it is possible here, it must always be in this cloud and in this darkness.

I offer this for your mind's pleasure - contemplation, meditation and musing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Davyth said...

Thanks. I am quite familiar with mystical texts. A rare feeling of affinity is what I feel. My preference is for fourteenth century mystics--Margery Kempe, Julian of Norwich, Richard Rolle, Cloud of Unknowing. I read Hildegard, Hadjevich, Pseudo-Dionysius, too.

A good book about mystical knowledge worth reading is David Williams Deformed Discourse.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home