Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Friday, September 08, 2006

The Oresteia

Before I headed off to a dreadful and abusive day of work at the warehouse, having finally received the second volume of David Grene and Richmond Lattimore's Greek Tragedies series, I read Aeschylus' The Libation Bearers, or Choephoroe. I'll probably have to go back and read it a second time if I truly wish to understand and experience the full extent of the play's tragic meaning. The foremost concern in my over-enthusiastic mind was with identifying the formal structure (i.e. Prologue, Parode, Episodes, Stasimons, Kommoi, and Exode) and elements (Metabasis, Anagnorisis, Peripeteia, etc) of ancient Greek tragedy from Aristotle's Poetics, which I finally learned in a course last year.

And now I can say that I've read Aeschylus' Oresteia trilogy (Agamemnon, The Libation Bearers and The Eumenides), albeit somewhat out of sequence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home