Incendium Amoris



"But I haven't lost the demons' craft and cunning: I've inherited
from them some useful things, but they won't be used for their benefit!"


--Robert de Boron, Merlin

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Supernatural Horror In Literature

Nearly a week later and I'm still reading Vollmann's You Bright and Risen Angels, with just over 200 pages left, although I've been tempted lately to set it aside in order to read two other books: Peter Straub's Floating Dragon and Ramsey Campbell's The Face That Must Die. I'm trying these days to broaden, in a somewhat out-of-joint chronological fashion, my study of reputable horror literature, and Straub (left) and Campbell (bottom right) were recognizable almost brand names. Other reputable writers of "supernatural horror" (as Lovecraft called it) I'm looking to read in the future include: Robert Bloch, Ambrose Bierce, Guy de Maupassant and Clive Barker. I managed to stretch, if not broaden my perspective slightly after discovering and reading Fritz Leiber's philosophical, yet truly Weird Our Lady of Darkness, Joe Hill's unputdownable, incisive horror short stories in 20th Century Ghosts, as well as some of the tales from Campbell's eldritch anthology Alone With The Horrors: The Great Short Fiction of Ramsey Campbell 1961-1991. Eventually this: The Complete Poetry and Translations of Clark Ashton Smith, Vol. 1, edited by David E. Schultz and S.T. Joshi, will arrive by mail in November packaged with a revised annotated edition by Donald Sidney-Fryer of Smith's stellar epic poem The Hashish-Eater, or the Apocalypse of Evil.

But all in due time. Heading to Niagara Falls for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home